Installing a CBR900RR shock assembly - sequel

From: SMTP%"Gregbud@aol.com" 22-SEP-1995 01:21:07.14
To: MEL1523
CC:
Subj: 900RR shock intstall

Return-Path:
Received: from chalice.firewall.dsea.com by VMS1.TAMU.EDU with SMTP;
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 1:21:03 -0500 (CDT)
Received: from server.eng.dsea.com (server.eng.dsea.com [204.30.91.33]) by chalice.firewall.dsea.com (8.6.9/8.6.9) with ESMTP id XAA20993; Thu, 21 Sep 1995 23:16:33 -0700
From: Gregbud@aol.com
Received: from chalice.firewall.dsea.com ([204.30.91.34]) by server.eng.dsea.com (8.6.9/8.6.9) with ESMTP id XAA29489 for ; Thu, 21 Sep 1995 23:10:02 -0700
Received: from emout04.mail.aol.com (emout04.mail.aol.com [198.81.10.12]) by chalice.firewall.dsea.com (8.6.9/8.6.9) with ESMTP id XAA20990 for ; Thu, 21 Sep 1995 23:16:28 -0700
Received: by emout04.mail.aol.com (8.6.12/8.6.12) id CAA09974 for hawkgt@dsea.com; Fri, 22 Sep 1995 02:14:49 -0400
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 02:14:49 -0400
Message-ID: <950922021447_26140759@emout04.mail.aol.com>
To: hawkgt@dsea.com
Subject: 900RR shock intstall

I hear some people on this list are curious about what it takes to install a
CBR900RR shock on the Hawk. I recently did it using info gleaned from here -
thanks ya'll (especially Frank)! I may be repeating, so if you already know
how just skip this. I found it to be pretty easy, My bike is stock 88 except
for progressive fork springs (15w oil), braided lines and MEZ2 rear tire
w/MEZ1 front.
To convert: Buy a used 900 shock, I found mine for sale in the
"Double R club" part of CycleWorld -AOL. Had the '93 shock with 2000 miles on
it and looking practically new C.O.D.ed to me for the grand total of $110.
Put bike on centerstand, removed my muffler, rear wheel and Hawk Shock. I
brought both shocks to the Seattle Cycle Center and they kindly put the Hawk
spring onto the 900 shock for $10 while I waited. Make sure when the springs
are swapped that correct end is up in respect to how it will mount on the
bike (the spring diameters are tapered, more so on the 900). The most tedious
procedure took about 1/2 hour - grinding the top mount of the shock (banjo
bolt-reservoir end) to fit into the Hawk upper frame mount. Following Franks
advice I taped up the shock in the areas around the top eye so that when I
slipped I would'nt ding the shock body, very necessary. I used a standard
bench wheel grinder and it seemed to work fine. I ground the taper off on
both sides- then just a little more, using calipers to check the width
against the standard Hawk shock. I then cleaned up the grind marks with a
file and took off any sharp edges. Not done yet, I used the drill press and
enlarged the top shock bolt hole to 12mm - a 31/64 bit will also work. Presto
shock is ready to install. Pop into the bike with the reservoir end up and
the banjo bolt on the left side as seen from the rear. With the bike on the
center stand the rear tire with 900 shock installed just barely skims the
ground, but I'm still able to spin the wheel to wax the chain etc... I've
tried a couple mounting places for the remote reservoir, once underneath the
tank on the right side where a petcock would be if this was my old Triumph.
It looked pretty cool there for all to see but seemed to get pretty hot from
the rear cyl head. I wound up zip tieing it to the rear master brake cylinder
and subrame, it works but I'll probably make some sort of bracket just to
make it look cleaner. Put your wheel back on then your stock muffler with the
bike on its side stand (lean angle is slightly increased but not much)
because the swingarm now is just enough lower that the stock muffler
"colostomy bag" won't allow mounting bolts to match up by a couple of mm. Go
for a ride on your new bike!
The ride height is raised by an inch or two (I'm 6'1" 180lbs,) not a problem.
My weight seems to be a little more over the front wheel but the feeling
seems to be of more control than with the stock height. The ride is much much
smoother, amazing flying carpet kind o' feeling, I've been actually aiming
for bumps just for the joy of not feeling them jar my spine. Handling is of
course much better, the chassis doesn't get upset or bottom out by big bumps
mid-corner - just floats over them, no more muffler grinding on the ground .
It works just fine as is (preload on #4) I'm in the process of learning how
to adjust all of the shock screws so I can play around and maybe even make it
better. Now that I've rambled on if I've left out any specifics feel free to
ask.

gregbud@aol.com